Hi, don't how many of you are interested in this,
but there is some work being done related to the "jailbreaking of the PDF".
The best resource to follow it (IMHO) is
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/

This kind of project is more related to Open Access movement than
Wikisource itself, at the present time, but I sense it will be more
imnportant in the future.

After all, Wikisources will have to discuss what they want to do with "born
digital documents", and decide if they want to stick with transcribing old
books or they agree in opening the library to other kinds of documents.

My personal opinion is that the more important (added) values of Wikisource
is integration with other projects and hypertextuality (possibility of
connecting texts to each other, and quotes to the original source, and
cited authors to their books).
So being able to import CC-BY licensed scientific documents is something
worth a study/discussion.

So we maybe want to explore this stuff.

Aubrey