You can see a great advantage of djvu files over pdf files into the present
file list of any IA item. You can see that IA removed djvu files, but it
builds and publishes _djvu.xml file. Why?  I presume that IA uses that file
to "map words" into its book viewer, since it has a good text structure
while being *pretty simple*. It can be translated into hOCR, and editing
its text nodes the edited text can be uploaded again into the djvu file.
Itsource is testing, on some texts, tricks to mass-fix djvu text layer
(removing scannos etc.) *before* uploading it into Commons.

It's a pity IMHO that this magic book format has been disregarded. Its
structure is *open* just as the pdf structure is *closed*.

Alex