Hi all,
agreed Brooke and all.
There was one formulation in my starting email that should have phrased
slightly differently for more clarity.

'Drop support' should have been 'drop dedicated support'. where users of
Opera continue to be able to browse or edit the wikis in a basic manner.
These changes, starting with the support matrix, just mean we're not
actively testing against them anymore or, specifically for IE11, going a
long way to ensure complete layout rendering equivalence with modern
browsers. Again, in the case of Opera, Chromium versions will probably see
exactly the same experience as before through active testing and bug fixing
for supported versions of Chrome.

Per Timo's note about https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T342267 and in
response to Sam's question, some data sets like those used by public
analytics tools like
https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-browser
are not believed to be completely accurate at this time. We used only
Foundation internally accessible
https://superset.wikimedia.org/superset/explore/p/lj9Q8J5b67K/, which to
our knowledge doesn't suffer from the same concerns about accuracy. This
data suggests that over the past 12 months, usage across all Opera browsers
combined comes to just over 0.1%, significantly less than even Edge Legacy.
The updated matrix would reflect the reality that Opera is not actively
tested against when developing new features.

Best,
Volker