On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 9:13 AM Bryan Davis <bd...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The new "Wikimedia Deployment Scheduler" tool tries to make adding
> your Gerrit change to a backport window as simple as possible. All it
> needs from you is the Gerrit change number, your IRC nick, and the
> backport window you want to use. Using some python magic, including
> the always useful mwparserfromhell library, it finds the right place
> in [[wikitech:Deployments]] to insert your request for deployment.
>
> To make things even easier, Gerrit will now show you a "Schedule
> backport of this change" link underneath the commit message for
> changes that are eligible for a backport deployment. What changes are
> those? Any open, unmerged change on the master branch of
> operations/mediawiki-config.git or changes on "wmf/*" branches in
> mediawiki/core.git, mediawiki/extensions/*.git, or
> mediawiki/skins/*.git.

Several folks who tried to use the new scheduling tool on Thursday ran
into a problem where the tool would tell them that their change had
been scheduled, but the Deployments page was actually not updated. I
eventually figured out that my logic for finding the right place in
the page to make the insert was easily confused by a common manual
edit where folks would overwrite the instructions placeholder with
their own change. This bug has now been fixed. I have also added a few
more checks to try and detect similar issues in the future where the
tool accidentally makes a null edit.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis                                        Wikimedia Foundation
Principal Software Engineer                               Boise, ID USA