I don't understand.

The file index.php is not visible to the internet (it's in a subdirectory
called mediawiki) and certainly won't be seen by anyone typing
wiki.1611kjb.org As I understand it, the standard is for a browser to look
for index.html and then default.html and those must be in the root
directory. I was under the impression that if I put a file called .htaccess
in the root directory for the website (i.e., /wiki.1611kjb.org), the browser
would follow that file. I found some directions on a website that implied I
should create the file with the following inside:

Redirect permanent /wiki.1611kjb.org/
http://wiki.1611kjb.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

But it doesn't work.

If I remove index.html, default.html and .htaccess from the root, then when
someone types in the domain name, they see my directory structure.
Consequently, how would I get a browser accessing my site to read a file
called index.php buried in a subdirectory (for that matter, if they could
see that file, I wouldn't need a redirect, they'd already be accessing the
file I'm trying to redirect to.

---Mike