On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Roan Kattouw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bence Damokos schreef:
> > Thank you for considering Hungarian. You could detect Hungarians by
> simply
> > looking for donations in Hungarian Forints (HUF).
> >
> Note that not all people who live in Hungary have Hungarian names, and
> not all Hungarians live in Hungary.

As there are no such data released (you can't filter donations by currency,
or even better currency+location) so I'm just guessing that those donating
in forints are mostly (~100%) Hungarians, while there is no easy way to find
the Hungarians among those not donating in forints.
I didn't want to elaborate on this in my previous mail, but as long as the
surname - first name order is not considered wrong, strange or out of place
in the context of English, and possibly other languages, than using this
order would be a win - win (it would be still acceptable on the
English/other interfaces, and on the Hungarian interface it would be
correct).
However, most Hungarians themselves use the Western order to name themselves
in English (and I guess in most foreign languages and contexts) so the
Western order would be correct on every interface language (except possibly
in those countries that use the non-Western order) except Hungarian (but I
dare say that people don't/wouldn't mind it, as they understand that the
context is mostly English [website of an American foundation, even the
currencies look 'foreign']). In conclusion, I would let the Hungarians'
name's rest for this year :).

Unfortunately we get the name already divided up from PayPal and are
> stuck either guessing or making an unattractive 'Surname, Given' display
> which looks bad for everyone. :(

You have a box for comments, that is independent from the PayPal people.
Maybe a solution would be to have 3 options instead of two at the privacy
checkbox: Display my name [default], Anonymous donation, Display a custom
name [this could work possibly for donating in someone other's name,  if
that's not a privacy concern].
--
Bence Damokos (Damokos Bence in Hungary)