2008/12/4 Aryeh Gregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Gregory Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> With a JS hack I had my tool integrated to the site. The AJAX calls
>> went to the toolserver, but as far as the users could see it was
>> running on the site. No one cared: It didn't produce useful results
>> because of how categories are used, and when I suggested changing
>> people just waved their arms at me "just make it walk the tree".

> What was the interface like (how noticeable/obtrusive), how long was
> it up, and why did it get removed?  You're certainly going to need a
> critical mass of people who know about it and use it before there will
> be any effect.

Evidently at least two of us who were drooling for this feature failed
to become aware of it ...

>  And enabling it on all wikis at once would likely
> help, too: if Germans get used to using it on dewiki and find it
> useful, they'll be more likely to push for it to be made useful on
> Commons.

oooooooooh. How to hack the Wikimedia social structure.

(mind you, I'll believe it's a conclusive solution when flagged revs hit en:wp.)

> In the end, all of these objections are really irrelevant to the
> technical issues here.  The fact of the matter is that category
> intersection is widely supported in other major software products (in
> the form of tag intersection), it's something that a lot of people
> want, and so it would be good if it were in the core software.  How
> fully various specific communities would want to use it is up to them
> -- that some communities might never choose to use a particular
> feature doesn't mean that it shouldn't be developed (cf. FlaggedRevs,
> etc.).

Indeed.

Greg, can your thingummy please be switched on again and publicised as
such on commons-l, if that's not impossible?

- d.