2009/1/11 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>:
> How many characters are there according to your software in the word Mbɔ́tɛ
> ? The correct answer is 5

Since I was working with the enwiki dump, I did not pay much attention
to internationalisation issues. I arbitrarily defined a "word" as the
Python regular expression: [\w\d]+

So, the answer to your question depends on how Python implements the
\w word-matching regular expression atom:

    "When the LOCALE and UNICODE flags are not specified, matches any
alphanumeric character and the underscore; this is equivalent to the
set [a-zA-Z0-9_]. With LOCALE, it will match the set [0-9_] plus
whatever characters are defined as alphanumeric for the current
locale. If UNICODE is set, this will match the characters [0-9_] plus
whatever is classified as alphanumeric in the Unicode character
properties database. "

Greg Hewgill
http://hewgill.com