On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM, George Herbert
<george.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google switching to use our search would crush us, obviously.

Doubtful.  It wouldn't be terribly pleasant, but I doubt it would take
down the site so easily.  Alexa says google.com gets about ten times
the traffic as wikipedia.org.  If google.com/ redirected to
wikipedia.org, I don't know if that would crash the site by itself.

> As would AOL.

Wikipedia is far bigger than AOL.  That would only be a 20% or 30%
spike in traffic.  I'm pretty sure we could handle that.

Anyway, the reason live mirrors are prohibited is not for load
reasons.  I believe it's because if a site does nothing but stick up
some ads and add no value, Wikimedia is going to demand a cut of the
profit for using its trademarks and so on.  Some sites pay Wikimedia
for live mirroring.  So the others, in principle, get blocked.