On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All browsers die eventually, it's our job to kill support around the
> same time. Not while there's still a good percentage using it (and
> 20% is a fair chunk), but rather when it's practically un-used anyway.

This is precisely it.  We will cease to support IE6 when it's no
longer used by a significant percentage of our users.  Not when we
think its users should upgrade, not when Microsoft thinks its users
should upgrade, not when some militant anti-Microsoft brigade thinks
its users should upgrade -- but rather when users *have* *already*
upgraded.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Tei <oscar.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It make some sense.  Internet Explorer is like a "webmaster tax",
> where the webmasters have to dedicate the 60% of his work to fix IE
> bugs.

That's a ridiculously gross exaggeration.  In the particular case of
MediaWiki, the real work in making us IE6-compatible was done long
ago.  The ongoing cost of IE6 support is fairly close to zero.  Only
the occasional feature is complicated by its lack of selector support
or whatnot.

> A campaing to upgrade browsers (not only IE ,but also Netscape, Opera,
> Firefox, etc...) is a good thing for the Internet

It's slightly good for most users (very slightly in Wikipedia's case),
and *very* bad for the large minority that still uses IE6.  We are
just not going to ignore a fifth or more of our users, period.  To do
so would be completely irresponsible.  There would most definitely not
be a net benefit to users, only to developers.