Sergey Chernyshev wrote:
> Yes, of course - I checked it out and that's why I quoted it in my original
> email.
> My brief overview made me feel that it wasn't enough.
>
> I just didn't want this to be only in context of localization as performance
> is more related to overall user experience then to multilingual support.
>
> I'll try to summarize what might be the goals of front-end performance
> optimizations.

hmm ... We can use the same script grouping/serving engine on all
javascript whether the script has localized msg or not. In a reply to
that thread I mentioned some details about path towards mediaWIki wide
deployment, it involved adding in wiki title support to the script
server, and grouping all the style requests, and modifying skins or the
header output script. Thanks for your summary of why front end
performance is important this will help prioritize that patch :)

> Yes, I took a look at the project and it seems that UI performance wasn't
> deemed important in this Usability initiative. This is not necessarily good,
> but I can understand why it concentrates on navigation, colors and editing
> UI.

The Usability initiative (like any software project) will have to take
performance issues into consideration. Having this script server in
place will benefit that effort as well.

--michael