On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Robert Rohde wrote:
>> I had an occasion to move (with redirect suppressed) a Mediawiki: page
>> into Template:  The intent was that the Mediawiki system message
>> should then fall back to its default behavior, while the page's
>> contents could still be used as a template under circumstances where
>> it was desirable to do so.
>>
>> However, after several hours the system message is still giving the
>> same result and doesn't recognize that its contents were removed.
>>
>> Obviously this is some sort of caching issue, perhaps because the
>> software doesn't know how to react properly to having a Mediawiki page
>> subject to a move.  Is this kind of lag likely to clear itself up in
>> short order?  How long does the message cache persist?
>
> This is a bug. There is code in Title::moveTo() to update the message
> cache but it appears to be totally wrong and broken.
>
> The message cache expiry time is 24 hours.

Wanna bet?  :-)

A few hours shy of 72 hours it still hadn't cleared.  Running
action=purge did clear it though, so it is now properly updated.
However, if you believe the message cache ought to have fixed itself
within 24 hours then you probably ought to go look at that code for
bugs too.

-Robert Rohde