Brian wrote:
> Delerium, you do make it sound as if merely having the tagged dataset
> solves the entire problem. But there are really multiple problems. One
> is learning to classify what you have been told is in the dataset
> (e.g., that all instances of this rule in the edit history *really
> are* vandalism). The other is learning about new reasons that this
> edit is vandalism based on all the other occurences of vandalism and
> non-vandalism and a sophisticated pre-parse of all the content that
> breaks it down into natural language features.  Finally, you then wish
> to use this system to bootstrap a vandalism detection system that can
> generalize to entirely new instances of vandalism.
>
> Generally speaking, it is not true that you can only draw conclusions
> about what is immediately available in your dataset. It is true that,
> with the exception of people, machine learning systems struggle with
> generalization.

My point is mainly that using the *results* of an automated rule system
as *input* to a machine-learning algorithm won't constitute training on
"vandalism", but on "what the current rule set considers vandalism". I
don't see a particularly good reason to find new reasons an edit is
vandalism for edits that we already correctly predict. What we want is
new discriminators for edits we *don't* correctly predict. And for
those, you can't use the labels-given-by-the-current rules as the
training data, since if the current rule set produces false positives,
those are now positives in your training set; and if the rule set has
false negatives, those are now negatives in your training set.

I suppose it could be used for proposing hypotheses to human
discriminators. For example, you can propose new feature X, if you find
that 95% of the time the existing rule set flags edits with feature X as
vandalism, and by human inspection determine that the remaining 5% were
false negatives, so actually feature X should be a new "this is
vandalism" feature. But you need that human inspection--- you can't
automatically discriminate between rules that improve the filter set's
performance and rules that decrease it if your labeled data set is the
one with the mistakes in it.

-Mark