Gerard Meijssen schreef:
> Hoi,
> We are building a test environment to test MediaWiki and its extensions. We
> aim to provide information on what extensions can be expected to work in
> what environment. When extensions are found not to work, it should be
> possible to fix the problem. We found for instance that the Babel extension
> did not work on an older version of PHP, the code was backported and
> consequently it needed a new revision that it got.
>
> Today I was struggling with the CrossNamespaceLinks. I tried to install the
> revision that is advertised on the English Wikipedia 37404 and it broke
> MediaWiki. An essential file was not part of the extension. I installed the
> extension without specifying the revision, it worked and it advertised
> itself as revision 37404.

I'm guessing this may be because the new file was added after r37404,
but the file registering the extension (and providing the revision
number) wasn't changed at that time, which means the most recent
revision of *that file* is still r37404. Special:Version doesn't really
report the most recent revision of the extension as a whole, but that of
the setup file (IIRC).

> My suggestion is to define and implement best practices for extensions and
> test extensions and their revisions for their functionality. Our testing
> environment is available for this. I will be happy to demonstrate it in
> Berlin.
Looking forward to that.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)