Brion Vibber wrote:
> On 3/26/09 12:30 PM, Ilmari Karonen wrote:
>> The Wikipedia article (what else?) on the format says the blocks are
>> padded to byte boundaries, and some quick testing seems to support that.
>
> That is a filthy lie. :)
>
> There is indeed no byte padding between blocks; it made my
> implementation of a parallel bzip2 compressor much harder and I never
> got round to finishing the decompressor.

You're right, I misread it.  Only the whole stream is padded. :(

(In my defense, that seems like such a moronic design choice that I
couldn't believe it could be true.  If you're going to waste 48 bits per
block on pi-in-BCD anyway, it seems silly to skimp on the 4 bits of per
block that'd be needed on average to pad to a byte boundary.)

--
Ilmari Karonen