Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/4/19 William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simp...@gmail.com>:
>>   {{subst:TEMPLATE|P1|P2|subst=subst:}}
>
> I've never seen that syntax before, what does the last bit do?

They add a named parameter {{{subst|}}} (defaults null) at strategic
places. You can add it after any positional parameters.  The "subst:"
substitutes during transclusion.

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Uw-vandalism1 and its
siblings for simple examples.

The problem with {{substall: is that it substitutes everything, and
{{subst: doesn't substitute enough.

I'm proposing the template designer have more control, using {{## only
at similar strategic places.  This is needed for templates that make
tables inside templates, and such.

As I mentioned, the use of parser functions has exploded.  Folks are
getting *very* creative!