Hi all,

Just a quick note to let everybody know that in a few days I'll be
changing the TorBlock configuration to require explicit block
exemption rather than merely being logged in.

While we would rather this weren't necessary, it seems that the edits
coming through tor are mostly unconstructive; and we've had all kinds
of nasty harassment come through that way -- the community feedback we
asked for was overwhelmingly that the ideological benefits of allowing
truly anonymous editing are outweighed by the pragmatic concerns of
harassment and vandalism.

To facilitate this, I will also be activating explicit IP block
exemption on all wikis. Like on English Wikipedia and many other
wikis, administrators will be able to add users to an "IP block
exempt" group, which exempts its holder from IP blocks, range blocks
and autoblocks, *but not explicit user blocks*. This is a helpful,
albeit inaccessible way to defray some of the problems associated with
blocking Tor users carte blanche.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, concerns or
suggestions about these changes!

--
Andrew Garrett