Wu Zhe wrote:
> Asynchronous daemon doesn't make much sense if page purge occurs on
> server side, but what if we put off page purge to the browser? It works
> like this:
>
> 1. mw parser send request to daemon
> 2. daemon finds the work non-trivial, reply *immediately* with a best
>    fit or just a place holder
> 3. browser renders the page, finds it's not final, so sends a request to
>    daemon directly using AJAX
> 4. daemon reply to the browser when thumbnail is ready
> 5. browser replace temporary best fit / place holder with new thumb
>    using Javascript
>
> The daemon now have to deal with two kinds of clients: mw servers and
> browsers.

To me this looks way too overcomplicated. I suggest a simpler approach:

1. mw copies a placeholder image to the appropriate filename: the
placeholder could be the original image, best match thumb or a PNG with
text "wait until the thumbnail renders";
2. mw send request to daemon;
3. daemon copies resized image over the placeholder.