On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to make Wikipedia a opneID provider? I would really be
> interesting if we could log on to wikipedia-replated sites with the same ID.

For my part, I'm firmly against joining the "provider but not
consumer" camp.  It's of no benefit to anyone -- it's easy to get
OpenID providers with better uptimes than us, who are probably at
least as trusted.  On the other hand, it adds a perpetual maintenance
burden, since we'd be total jerks if we didn't support all our OpenID
users forever.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the whole point of OpenID was that you didn't have to create
> an account on every site, you could just turn up and use your existing
> one.

That's one way to use it.  But sign-up could be made a lot easier even
without OpenID -- really we just need a username and password entered,
not significantly harder than just typing your preexisting OpenID
username.  The real advantage of using OpenID, IMO, is to prevent
users from having to remember seven zillion passwords.  The only
reason it would simplify account creation is if you required your
users to fill out lengthy forms when registering -- which we already
don't.