2009/6/26 Robert Rohde <raro...@gmail.com>:
> My understanding has been that the PREprocessor expands all branches,
> by looking up and substituting transcluded templates and similar
> things, but that the actual processor only evaluates the branches that
> it needs.  That's a lot faster than actually evaluating all branches
> (which is how things originally worked), but not quite as effective as
> if the dead branches were ignored entirely.
>
> (I could be totally wrong however.)

You're right that dead code never reaches the parser (your
"processor"), but ideally the preprocessor wouldn't bother expanding
it either. I have vague recollection that it was fixed with the new
preprocessor, as Simetrical said, but I have no idea how much truth
there is in that.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)