Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Thus the first line of a template would
>> be the example of its use:
>>
>> Template:foobar
>> {{Foobar|$var1|$var2|$andAnotherVar}}
>> ...(implementation)...
>
> How does that work with anonymous variables? Are all $[NUMBER] style
> names count as auto-declared?

Template:foobar
{{Foobar|$1|$2|$3}}
...(implementation)...

That would make $4 a bit of text.  Exactly the same kind of "template
prototype" - to borrow C's terminology.  I see no reason to have
multiple different ways of identifying a variable, nor any reason to
have defaults or automatic declarations.

This of course would forbid the use of $n (where n = 1, 2, 3...) as a
synonym for a named variable).  That is permitted isn't it? I can't
remember.

Mike