On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 14:43, Andrew Garrett <agarr...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 06/07/2009, at 12:05 PM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>
> > 2. The info won't be up-to-date. Would it be too much to ask to search
> > the database directly using regexes?
>
> Yes.
>
> We wouldn't allow direct searching from the web interface with regexes
> for two related reasons:
>
> 1/ A single search with the most basic of regexes would take several
> minutes, if not hours. [...]
>
> 2/ Even if we could find a way to make the former performant, a
> malicious regex could significantly expand this time taken, leading to
> a denial of service.

I imagined that that would be the answer. Maybe it is possible to set
up a service that searches some back-up database, which is almost
up-to-date, or to have someone approve the regexes to prevent DOS.

Just throwing a bunch of ideas to the air.

Mostly i was interested to find out whether there is an existing
script that searches dumps, instead of writing one myself.

--
אמיר אלישע אהרוני
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com