Some notes:
* ~its mostly an api~. We can run it internally if that is more cost
efficient. ( will do on a command line client shortly ) ... (as
mentioned earlier the present code was hacked together quickly its just
a prototype. I will generalize things to work better as internal jobs.
and I think I will not create File:Myvideo.mp4 wiki pages rather create
a placeholder File:Myvideo.ogg page and only store the derivatives
outside of wiki page node system. I also notice some sync issues with
oggCat which are under investigation )

* Clearly CPU's, are cheep so is power for the commuters, human
resources for system maintenance, rack-space and internal network
management, and we of-course will want to "run the numbers" on any
solution we go with. I think your source bitrate assumption was a little
high I would think more like 1-2Mbs (with cell-phone camaras targeting
low bitrates for transport and desktops re-encoding before upload). But
I think this whole convesation is missing the larget issue which is if
its cost prohibitive to distribute a few copies for transcode how are we
going to distribute the derivatives thousands of times for viewing?
Perhaps future work in this area should focus more on the distributing
bandwith cost issue.

*  Furthermore I think I might have mis-represented w...@home I should
have more clearly focused on the sequence flattening and only mentioned
transocding as an option. With sequence flattening we have a more
standard viewing bitrate of source material and cpu costs for rendering
are much higher. At present there is no fast way to overlay html/svg on
video with filters and effects that are only presently predictably
defined in javascript. For this reason we use the browser to wysiwyg
render out the content. Eventually we may want to write a optimized
stand alone flattener, but for now the w...@home solution worlds less
costly in terms of developer resources since we can use the "editor" to
output the flat file.

3) And finally yes ... you can already insert a penis into video uploads
today. With something like: oggCat | "ffmpeg2theora -i someVideo.ogg -s
0 -e 42.2" "myOneFramePenis.ogg"  "ffmpeg2theora -i someVideo.ogg -s 42.2"
But yea its one more level to worry about and if its cheaper to do it
internally (the transcodes not the penis insertion) we should do it
internally. :P  (I hope other appreciate the multiple levels of humor here)

peace,
michael