2009/8/12 Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com>:
> To elaborate on the final point. Sometimes the parser is changed and
> it breaks output on purpose. Case in point was when Tim rewrote the
> preprocessor. Some parts of syntax were intentionally changed. You'd
> have to establish a new baseline for this new behavior at that point.

Another (but fundamentally different) case in point is when Aryeh
removed type="" on <script> tags or when I added class="tocsection-n"
(n being the section number) to the TOC <li>s. In some case you want
to add/remove an attribute or otherwise intentionally change the HTML
output, and if that output is covered by parser tests those tests need
to be updated. When updating parser test cases it's easy enough to
tell the difference between intentional and accidental changes, but
this is not so apparent when comparing pre- and post-change parses of
big wiki pages (like when Tim added class="mw-redirect" to all links
to redirects, which cluttered Special:ParserDiffTest output).

> Finally, I don't think we need to dump all of enwiki. It can't require that
> much content to describe the various combinations of wiki syntax...

Exactly. Instead of throwing a huge amount of wikitext at it and
hoping that'll cover everything, we should make our test suite more
comprehensive by adding lots of new parser test. Of course there'll be
*some* crazy bugs concerning weird interactions that only happen in
the wild, you can't really write tests for those, but that's life.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)