[snip]

I'd like to ask that folks leave this thread aside for the moment other
than useful replies to the original poster's request about how and where
to propose changing $wgSitename for ja.wikipedia.org.

If the code paths for setting up and running the parser to do brace
substitution in messages were significantly faster, we wouldn't bother
optimizing a few '$1 - {{SITENAME}}'s to '$1 - Wikipedia' on a few of
our high-traffic sites with stable names.

Brace substitution in messages is done using a limited mode of the
parser, much as it is in templates and wiki pages; avoiding braces in
messages that appear on parser-cached pages means that we avoid having
to initialize the parser, which can be a very noticeable win on a
high-traffic site.

If anyone is interested in actually looking into the costs of Parser
setup and invocation for brace replacement in messages and optimizing
this code path, that would be great, but please follow up in a new
thread and only post _new_ information or questions, not repeats of
what's already been said.

Thanks.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)