2009/9/5 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com>:

> The relevant edits have been oversighted so I can't tell what kind of
> URLs they were. If they were like "www.foo.com/bar.exe" then we can
> easily stop them by not parsing URLs that end ".exe".

It was on Rapidshare. It was of the form:

http://xxx123.rapidshare.de/123456789/InnocentToxicWaste.exe

- so it didn't link directly to the file itself, even - but to the
page about the file.

> There will be
> some false positives (eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.exe although
> that is only a redirect, so no real harm),

I forgot about that. Given that exes could be on *any* sort of page,
any collateral damage suggests this is a pointless bit of security
theatre ...

> but it shouldn't involve
> more than a slight change to 1 or 2 lines of code, unless I'm missing
> something. Something more advanced that would actually block
> executables, rather than just things with an exe extension would
> require actually following the link, which is probably too slow to be
> practical (it would have to be done on rendering, rather than saving,
> otherwise you can just change what is at the other end of the link
> after saving the page).

As I noted, in this case the link actually went to a download page,
not directly to the .exe. He still got five people to download it.

> Is there any great risk here, though? Modern browsers won't run such
> an executable (at least not without big scary warnings which, of
> course, we never just blindly click through).

*cough*

- d.