2009/9/9 Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>

> The language variant system that we have could easily convert between
> US and UK English. In fact it already does convert between a language
> pair with a far more complex relationship, that is Simplified and
> Traditional Chinese.
>
> The language conversion system is very simple, it's just a table of
> translated pairs, where the longest match takes precedence. The
> translation table in one direction (e.g. UK -> US) can be different to
> the table in the other direction (US -> UK). You would not list "ize
> -> ise", you would list every word in the dictionary with an -ize
> ending that can be translated to -ise without controversy. The current
> software could handle 50k pairs or so without serious performance
> problems, and it could be extended and optimised to allow millions of
> pairs if there was a need for that.

Hello again!

What would be needed in order to use pages like MediaWiki:Conversiontable/pt
and MediaWiki:Conversiontable/pt-br at the wikimedia projects in Portuguese
for the conversion? Is it easy to have the language conversion enabled?
Could we gradually create the conversion tables?

Sorry for so many questions...

Helder