On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Aryeh Gregor <
simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com <simetrical%2bwikil...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Anthony <wikim...@inbox.org> wrote:
> > There are.  You didn't want us to describe them in our article, did you?
>
> All nontrivial software has unknown security vulnerabilities.

Fine, I'm willing to leave it at that.  I just felt the need to defend Judd
(and, as a board member of the non-profit which published the blog article,
myself) against a claim of lying in a blog post.

> It should be noted, though, that actual demonstrated risk is probably
> more important to users than theoretical patch response times.  For
> whatever reason, attacks on MediaWiki seem to be comparatively rare.

I think the "soft security" model is oftentimes a good one.  It certainly
blurs the lines between what is a "security breach" and what is vandalism,
and gives the script kiddies something to do which doesn't constitute a true
security breach.

> I would be interested in hearing of any real-world attacks anyone
> knows of -- there must have been *some*, but I've never heard of one.

The only one I can think of that I know of directly would be the IP spoofing
one where the attacker pretended to be a proxy and sent a false "IP
forwarded" or whatever.

But indirectly I know of many "Grawp" exploits.  I guess I know of one of
those directly, which is whatever I got hit with on my Mediawiki
installation.  I never investigated what specifically it was, though.

There's also various forms of nasty once-upon-a-time unrecoverable vandalism
like moving a page on top of another which arguably aren't security holes
but arguably *are* security holes in the form of design flaws.