All,

As we are all very aware, it is long past time for branching 1.16 for release.
Tim, as our release manager, has stated previously that the current state of
trunk is in no condition to be a release; I'm inclined to agree.

It's just shy of 6 months since 1.15 was branched, and we've had over 8000
commits since then, including 3 branches completed and merged. That is a hell
of a lot of code, and a hell of a lot of code to review. I've been thinking,
and I've mentioned it in a few places to some people, that perhaps it's time
for a code freeze prior to branching.

If we keep committing new code at the pace we've been going, we're never going
to catch up on review, and the 1.16 final release is going to be even longer in
coming. If, however, we can at least freeze trunk to new development, it could
perhaps aid in the review/cleanup process associated with a release. Focusing
solely on bugfixing/cleanup rather than trying to push even more new things
into 1.16 allows us to cleanup 1.16 and get it in a state we're happy
to release.

-Chad