On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Anthony <wikim...@inbox.org> wrote:
> Hmm, okay.  Should I be using character set and collation "binary"?
> The dumps build the table using character set utf8, and don't say
> anything about the collation.  Is this specific to edit summaries, or
> does it apply to all the text fields?
>
> I guess this is getting off topic, but I'm not quite sure what the
> topic of this thread is anyway.

Wikipedia uses binary fields for everything.  It has to, since MySQL
4.0 doesn't support anything else.  I don't know what other sites
running off Wikipedia dumps do.

> I don't know if it was supposed to be taken as sarcasm or not, but Tim
> Starling recently commented that "it seems that I'm the only staff
> member who knows MySQL."  That was a joke, right?

I assume he was saying that he's the only paid Wikimedia staff right
now who knows a lot about databases, and MySQL in particular.  I don't
know without context.