I noticed today that livepreview does not pick up the
dynamically-generated CSS from the SyntaxHighlight_Geshi extension.
The same problem occurs in liquidthreads: when you add a comment with
a Geshi call in it, the CSS will not be picked up when the comment is
initially saved. The first full reload of the page will pick up the
css correctly neither case.

After some investigation, this is really an issue in core and will
apply to any extension that needs to add CSS and/or javascript to the
output HTML.  To fix the bugs with livepreview, we would need some
mechanism where AJAX calls receive not only new HTML, but also new CSS
and/or javascript, and can add that CSS and javascript to the current
page without a reload.  Adding the CSS and javascript dynamically may
be tricky from a compatibility standpoint, but having library
functions in our site javascript would help with that.

I have not investigated the cause of the problem in liquidthreads.

The code in EditPage.php shows scars from similar problems, in a
commented-out call to send a list of categories back to an AJAX
preview request.

- Carl