Anthony wrote:
> The bandwidth-saving way to do things would be to just allow mirrors to use
> hotlinking.  Requiring a middle man to temporarily store images (many, and
> possibly even most of which will never even be downloaded by end users) just
> wastes bandwidth.

There is already a way to instruct a wiki to use images from a foreign
wiki as they are needed. With proper caching.

On 1.16 it will even be much easier, as you will only need to set
$wgUseInstantCommons = true; to use Wikimedia Commons images.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgUseInstantCommons