On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Nikola Smolenski <smole...@eunet.rs> wrote:
> Robert Stojnic wrote:
>> Magnus Manske wrote:
>
> Also, searches made using either button that did not have any results.
> There are smaller Wikipedias out there, you know :)

>>> We used to have that. I don't remember why it was turned off -
>>> probably too many results.
>>
>> We used to do it, and the plan was to make it public, however, there are
>> privacy issues apparently and no-one knows if we can or cannot publish
>
> What would be privacy issues if only the statistics are displayed?

I guess people searching for their own name, or the like.

Suggestion :
* log search and SHA1 IP hash (anonymous!)
* search queries are logged in a standardized fashion (for grouping),
e.g. lowercase, single spaces, no leading/trailing spaces, special
chars converted to spaces, etc.
* display searches per week (?) that have been searched for at least
10 times from at least 5 different IP hashes (to avoid people
searching their own name 100 times...)

Magnus