I believe we've had two discussions in the past on switching to git.

I talked to Tim about various other advantages of .git, like the lack of
autoprops annoyance, and corrected the notion that there isn't a Windows
client and his reponse was "maybe in a year or two".

Generally the limitation is the fact that we're currently abusing svn's
ability to only check out specific directories rather than an entire
repo to make it easy to check out all the extensions or individual ones
without any trouble.
We've had ideas like using git submodules to mark stable versions of
extensions so extension repos can be flexibly checked out.

Oh something interesting. With a bit of trickery I recently managed to
splice the entire history of one git repo into a branch of another git
repo creating a git repo that has two separate initial commits in two
separate branches. And from the looks of it it's perfectly possible to
fetch history from the original repo into the proper branch. So it
should be interestingly possible to create a script that fetches history
updates for every extension at once by embedding them all into separate
branches of a single git repo, and then locally (with no network
latency) pulling the history from those branches into the real repos.