On 2/9/10 10:58 AM, Jack Phoenix wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Roan Kattouw<roan.katt...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Not any more, the Vector skin itself has been stable for months. All
>> the usability work is currently done in the UsabilityInitiative
>> extension.
>>

> Ah, good to know. I must admit that Vector's code is a bit more complicated
> than your average skin's...currently the old, SkinTemplate-based Vector skin
> works, but it doesn't support fancy things like SkinAfterSidebar hook, for
> example. If you (or someone else from the usability team) would like to
> start rewriting it, feel free to! :-)
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Aryeh Gregor
> <simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com<simetrical%2bwikil...@gmail.com>
>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Nice!  Is it intended to produce byte-for-byte the same output as the
>> current skin system?  If so, it should be pretty easy to write
>> something that automatically checks the output of a lot of pages in
>> all skins with and without the changes, to verify that there are no
>> errors.
>>

> Not yet at least, the indentation/newlines aren't consistent yet. Then
> again, Brion removed some unnecessary whitespace in r55496 for JavaScript
> variables in<head>, so I dunno how important it is to have everything
> indented properly in the HTML output.
>
> Thanks and regards,

I've been very busy with deployments, so I've been waiting to talk here,
but I think that there are allot of considerations for a skinning system
that I could help shed some light on when I get some time (maybe next
week?). The Usability Initiative's last hard deadline is coming up, and
then we will be taking a step back and looking at what needs to be fixed
from an infrastructure standpoint, and the skinning system will likely
come up. I'd love to help this work get a good head start and be built
well, so that we don't just end up with one more skinning system.

I will try and correspond more on this and in more detail in the coming
days.

- Trevor