Hi,

There hasn't been a successful pages-meta-history.xml.bz2 or
pages-meta-history.xml.7z dump from the http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/
site in the last 5 dumps.  How is the new dump system coming along for these
large wiki files?  I personally am a bit concerned that these files haven't
been available for ~4months at least, maybe publicize the problems to get more
feedback on how to fix it instead of just telling us that:
The current dump system is not sustainable on very large wikis and is
being replaced. You'll hear about it when we have the new one in place. :)

-- brion

Sorry for complaining, but it has been a long time that this is broken, what
are the details of the problem?

I hope you guys are planning on adding some way to download the wikimedia
commons images too at some point, ie. I was thinking a multifile torrent could
work, with images from enwiki in one file, and the other wikis in other files.
Also the enwiki images could also be in subcategories of popularity based on
access.log files, so a space restricted user might only download the folder
labelled "top10percent" and then get the top ten percent most popular images in
wikipedia, which could still make a pretty complete encyclopedia for most
offline users and save 90% of the disk space.  Creating a multifile torrent
like this is standard, ie. if you download from piratebay you know what I mean.
 The only drawback with the torrents is the lack of geographical awareness for
the data transfer as someone mentioned before, but I think the decentralized
nature of bittorrent with many possible uploaders makes this irrelevant as
wikimedia won't be paying for the bandwidth if other people choose to help seed
the torrents anyway.

What about www.wikipirate.org or wikitorrent.org for a list of wikimedia
torrents? :)
both are available!