On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:43, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Liangent <liang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will MediaWiki repository be moved to Git?
> Some people want to move to git. Some people like other
> DCVSes. There is a git mirror and running over on GitHub
> now[1] that you're free to fork and play with.
>
> There are no set-in-stone plans for anything right now, just
> some mumblings by a few people.
>
> -Chad
>
> [1] http://github.com/mediawiki/mediawiki-svn

Right. As Chad says this is just a project to make a conversion to
Git. Whether anyone ends up using it or not is another issue.

What we're trying to do is:

 * Set up a git-svn mirror on github which people can use to work with
MediaWiki's SVN through Git

We've been given free hosting by Github to do this there:
http://support.github.com/discussions/site/1281-are-you-interested-in-giving-me-free-space-to-host-mediawikigit

Even if you don't want to use git-svn it's nice to have a mirror or
Github just because it makes it easy for a lot of people already there
to follow the project.

 * Convert the MediaWiki Subversion repository to something that looks
native in Git

This involves splitting up the repository & rewriting commits. See
this E-Mail for info:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2010-February/046667.html

There are outstanding issues with both of these which I've filed in a
tracker at Github here:
http://github.com/mediawiki/mediawiki-svn/issues

If you (or anyone else) is interested in helping either one of those
happen then by all means join us.