* Chris Lewis <yecheondigi...@yahoo.com> [Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:30:20 -0800
(PST)]:
> I hope I am emailing this to the right group. My concern was about
> mediawiki and it's limitations, as well as it's outdated methods. As
> someone wo runs a wiki, I've gone through a lot of frustrations.
>
> If Wordpress is like Windows 7, then Mediawiki is Windows 2000. Very
> outdated GUI, outdated ways of doing things,for example using ftp to
> edit the settings of the wiki instead of having a direct interface
like
> Wordpress.
MediaWiki is not like Windows; it is more like Linux. I can type
formatted wikitext with links, lists, headers and tables faster than by
using MS Office GUI.

MindTouch Deku has backend and frontend written in different languages -
so, it is harder to install and probably is not suitable to cheap
sharing hosting. it also stores data in xml format, which is not the
best for "manual" typing.

With all recent dramatical improvement of PHP by Facebook (I've
impressed with the translator and the xhp), PHP may move from "toy-like"
language (as I've heard from local .net developers) to a very serious
platform. In fact, these improvements probably are even more important
than a long-awaiting PHP 6.0..
http://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/xhp-a-new-way-to-write-php/294003943919
although a mapping of XML to wikitext can be a problem (though the
parser uses DOM already)..
Maybe a replacement to wgOut, though.
Dmitriy