Chad wrote:
> Rather, can someone fix mailman so these sorts of things
> don't come through? Usually they don't...

Mailman discards posts with the header "Precedence: bulk", which is
set by the classic UNIX autoresponder "vacation". However, there are
many autoresponders which don't set any such header, or X-Mailer or
anything else. Then, the best you can do is to set up regex-based
filters to heuristically detect such mails. However, the configuration
is list-specific and it would be quite a bit of mucking around to set
up a filter for all lists.

Every time I post to mediawiki-announce, I get several autoreplies
direct to me, despite Reply-To being set. I've rarely seen two emails
with the same subject line:

* Bedankt voor je e-mail/Thanks for e-mailing (Re:
[MediaWiki-announce] MediaWiki security update: 1.15.2)
* Re: [MediaWiki-announce] MediaWiki security update: 1.15.2
* Abwesend: [MediaWiki-announce] MediaWiki security update: 1.15.2
* Your message has been rejected.
* Abwesenheitsnotiz
* Din sag er modtaget hos IT-ServiceDesk og er blevet tildelt ID ...

Those were the subject lines for the autoreplies to the last two
announcements. If these autoreply scripts actually did respect
Reply-To, then we'd see this sort of junk on the list a lot more often.

So filtering is not as trivial as you might think.

-- Tim Starling