Python is a nice language. PHP (portability) or C/C++ (speed) would be
better but Python is preferable to OCaml.

You mention ANTLR, something like that could be a good because it should
allow to generate the same parser in a different language with not so
much effort (probably you won't have enough time in gsoc for that, but a
design taking that option into account would be interesting).

So you could do (please don't take this as a requisites list):
*Figure out wth is doing the current texvc.
*Document it heavily.
*Design how to create the next textvc.
*Any parser you make for it.
*Actual implementation.

You seem to be thinking about creating a PHP extension. I don't think
you should go that route. A binary is good enough, we don't need it to
be in a PHP extension. That glue could be added later if needed, but
would increase the complexity to write and debug.