On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:21, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/3/26 Amir E. Aharoni <amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il>:
> > Whatever they mention, i couldn't understand a word of it, and i do know
> > some HTML and JS.
> >
> > There are several buttons which are essential to me and which disappeared
> > from the new default toolbar, such as nowiki, strikeout and some others.
> If
> > i had a convenient way to add them, i wouldn't complain, but that
> [[Toolbar
> > customization]] page is completely unreadable to anyone but the dedicated
> > developers.
> >
> This is a page that was quickly whipped up some time ago, and I agree
> that it's probably not very readable. I will add a section with some
> easy instant-copy-and-paste snippets that add stuff like nowiki,
> strikeout and redirect. If you could elaborate on what "and others"
> consists of, I'll add those too.

Thanks.

Note, however, that if you add JS snippets, it may make it usable to me, but
probably not quite usable to many people who don't want to learn to edit
their vector.js. I've been editing Wikipedia for 5 years and i only created
a personal JS file a few days ago.

Making a GUI for adding buttons, at least through the "Gadgets" tab in the
preferences, is essential.

> > I'm sorry, but it is too early to force this on editors. On the technical
> > Village Pump in the Hebrew Wikipedia, for example, the attitude towards
> the
> > beta ranges from indifferent to negative, and not because of RTL
> problems,
> > but simply because for people who only read Wikipedia this is inessential
> > and for editors it is rather harmful.
> >
> Exactly how is this harmful? The only two problems you listed are a
> few missing toolbar buttons, which are easily added, and one buggy
> toolbar button which, by your own admission, you "can live with" (but
> which we'll of course fix ASAP).

I often write documentation for templates and having to type
<nowiki></nowiki> all the time in examples of template usage is rather
harmful, especially in the RTL environment of he.wp.

Will it be enabled in Wikisource, too? It doesn't work so well with the
Proofread Page extension, which i use all the time.

In general, it would be less scary to hear the announcement that the Beta
will so soon replace the current interface after the fixes to the important
bugs in the Beta are actually deployed (line breaks in pasted text, image
insertion in pasted text, etc.).

And don't get me wrong: I actually support interface updates, even if they
are not very essential, and i do use the Beta most of the time in the last
few weeks. I just think that it should be deployed after community
discussion, and just forced on the community. Even if it's possible to go
back to Monobook, it's still rather unpleasant; in fact, if a lot of people
won't like it, it will especially unpleasant for the developers. For
example, it will be much better to share problems with the Beta on a
dedicated page in en.wp or on Meta, than to report them through the rather
inconvenient "beta feedback" page. (And maybe such a page exists and i am
making a fool of myself :)

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni