On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 14:34, Victor <bob...@ua.fm> wrote:
> Actually I completely disagree. Since I've got some experience with both
> OCaml and PHP the idea to convert Maths processing to PHP looks
> like a not so good idea at all.
>
> Probably the issues you had were more like a wrong/problematic
> configuration or something like that. OCaml itself is actively developed
> and is a mature language and development environment, much better than
> PHP or Python (IMHO).
>
> It is just interesting to wait a bit and compare the PHP and OCaml
> implementations of texvc (if there will be anything at all to compare).

c is "better", so is Common Lisp, Scheme, Haskell, Clojure or a number
of other languages.

The problem is that worse is better. OCaml isn't widely known among
programmers or as easy for PHP programmers to get into as say Perl,
Python or Ruby. As a result the math/ directory has been untouched
(aside from the stray doc+bug fix) since 2003.

There are many long standing core issues with the texvc component in
Bugzilla (http://bit.ly/bsSUPM) that noone is looking at.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with it remaining in OCaml
if it was being maintained and these long-standing bugs were being
fixed.