On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Jack Bates <ms...@freezone.co.uk> wrote:
> Does there exist a recommended wiki syntax for representing that a page
> is hierarchically a "child" of another page?
>
> I don't want to rename the pages

Not in stock MediaWiki.  The typical way to do this is to use subpages:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Subpages

But you have to rename the pages (and the names can get long/ugly).

> Among the reasons for doing this is that, to build the PDF based on the
> static index, currently I recursively concatenate first the body of a
> page, followed by each of its children

I don't know how it works, but Extension:Collector might be useful to you:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection

> I thought "transclusion" was a candidate, because pages are recursively
> transcluded to build the PDF, http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Transclusion
>
> In the wiki however, I don't actually want to display pages embedded in
> each other - instead I want links to child pages. This represents enough
> information about the hierarchical structure to build the PDF

It might be possible in principle to use some kind of template that
normally renders as a link, but could be persuaded to render as an
inclusion under some conditions.  I'm not sure offhand what the best
way to do this would be.