Hello,
   I am an editor over at wikibooks and I was have found myself
wishing for a better way to number things in wikimarkup.  Mainly my
activity has been focused on mathematics texts, and I wished for a way
to automatically generate numbers for theorems & exercises.  Similar
to what is done in LaTeX.  Basically so I could have a template that
would increment say a theorem number from something like 2.1.1 to
2.1.2.  (I could imagine 2 and 1 being inputs to the template  That
something like {{Theorem|2|1}} display 2.1.1, 2.1.2, ... etc.)

The particularly can be annoying in exercise sections, when I would
like to add an easy exercise at the beginning of a section with 50
exercises and I find myself manually renumbering exercises badly.

I cornered mikelifeguard in an IRC channel a while back and was asking
him if there was any hope of having the VariablesExtension added to
wikibooks so I could make these templates myself.  He thought it was
highly unlikely when I mentioned it was  previously marked as a
WONTFIX on english wikipedia (bugzilla:7865).  Though he felt I should
mention my issue here.

This page:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#counters
made me hopeful something like this might be possible in HTML/CSS, but
to be honest I am not technically savvy enough to figure out if I am
correct.

Thanks for your time,
Thenub314