On 7/22/10 1:56 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM, David Gerard<dger...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> This is a perennial proposal. It's an idea I like, as it puts control
>> in the hands of the viewer rather than third parties. All it requires
>> is someone to code something that passes muster as being unlikely to
>> melt the servers.
>>
>> cc to wikitech-l - how feasible is something that allows users to stop
>> display of arbitrary image categories and/or subcategories?
>
> It's entirely feasible.  I even have an outline written up:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Simetrical/Censorship
>
> Maybe if I have time left after category sorting this summer,
> Wikimedia could have me do this.

Interesting proposal. I think it's on the right track.

Pushing censorship to the browser means that we have to reimplement it
where ever our content is viewed -- including mobile sites and other
alternative ways of browsing Wikipedia and sister sites. But that seems
like it's doable, particularly since you're exploiting CSS classes.

Blurring seems a bit deluxe to me -- it's probably adequate to just
block the image and show something in its place with the same
dimensions. (At Flickr, they use an image of greyish-black static for
this).

But I think any proposal that works is going to look like yours, given
the realities of how Wikimedia content is hosted.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar  |) <ne...@wikimedia.org>