On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
>> There's already http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MWReleases that
> does server part of version checks for core, it could be tweaked to supply
> version information for extensions, too.
>
> Although that suffices for determining if your version is up to date or not,
> it does not allow for actual update fetching and all the related stuff such
> as dependency resolution and simply browsing through available extensions in
> the repository, as you have with WordPress.
>
>> When for updates to the software, both core and extensions the system is
> to phone home, it makes sense to integrate the LocalisationUpdate
> functionality and make it a more complete package.
>
> Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I was not aware this functionality existed,
> so I'm definitely going to have a look at it now.
 I would highly unrecommended having the update feature in there, we
already highly recommend against running as a db user with certain
admins rights amongst other things, this feature will probably end up
breaking more installs then updating (and yes I know wordpress has it,
and I know how many times i've had to fix their botch updates), and
not all installs would have the required modules that it needs
(cURL/wGet comes to mind on IIS setups which some people use). Nor
should we be assigning the update right or giving messages to the
admin group by default, since most people that are admins are non
technical and will just click any bright button that has messages
along the lines of "omg update me now" without thinking if it will
break something (Perhaps we should un-deprecate the developer
usergroup for this).

-Peachey