The code is currently enabled in trunk and is still awaiting review.
It's basically complete, but there are some issues left:

* What sortkey algorithm to use?  Currently it just ASCII uppercases
the words, which is okay for a proof-of-concept but doesn't actually
solve bug 164.
* What should be done about compatibility, particularly given the
schema change?  Should I try to convert all the extensions I've
broken?  Should we keep the old cl_sortkey index so that out-of-tree
uses don't suddenly become extremely inefficient (but then we have to
maintain an extra largely pointless index)?
* On a much more minor note, cl_sortkey should probably be redefined
to varbinary(255), instead of varchar(70).  I'd do this, but I'm not
totally sure about it, so I'm awaiting feedback from Tim, since it
would be annoying to convert it and then convert it back.