On 20/08/10 04:18, Jonathan Leybovich wrote:
> Plus I would wager that asymmetric ciphers will stand up to attacks far
> longer than most hashing functions.

In a past life, I was a PhD student working on a broad military-funded
project which aimed to break all known asymmetric cryptography schemes
using large, expensive machines known as quantum computers. There will
come a point, maybe even this century, when large-block symmetric
ciphers like the WHIRLPOOL compression function will be the only sort
of security we will have left, unless you don't mind the government
being able to read all your messages.

Asymmetric ciphers are the only kind of widely-used cipher that have a
known vulnerability which allows cryptanalysis exponentially faster
than brute force, i.e. in polynomial time and space with respect to
the key length. So I think your faith is misplaced.

-- Tim Starling