2010/9/4 Robert Leverington <rob...@rhl.me.uk>:
> In the past all paid developers worked remotely (at least, not in the
> same office as one another), and there still are paid developers who
> work remotely.  Additionally, all volunteers work remotely.  Based on my
> experience with MediaWiki I would say that development in the past was
> significantly more efficient and community involved than it is currently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_prompter_hoc

The fact that we have scalability (in terms of code review) and
transparency issues now that we have a number of devs in one office
while we didn't have them back in the day when there was only one dev
at the office doesn't mean the concentration of developers in the
office *caused* these issues, much less that undoing said
concentration will fix them.

For instance, the activity level in the MW SVN repository grew
significantly about 2 years ago if memory serves [1] , and our code
review infrastructure shrunk by 50% with Brion's departure just under
a year ago rather than being expanded. This has to be one of the main
causes of the current code review situation, and I don't believe
concentrating devs in the office made much if any difference here.

Certain transparency issues that have been mentioned probably are
related to having an office, but you'll still need to make sound
arguments to support this notion (fortunately, some people have done
this) rather than committing a logical fallacy. You can't just blame
any arbitrary event that occurred in the past 5 years for everything
that's worse now than it was 5 years ago without backing up that
assertion with convincing arguments.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

[1] These numbers blow my mind every so often: when I started in July
2007 we were in the r26000s vs. the r72000s today, even though the SVN
history goes back to 2001.