It seems like there are two dimensions to this problem.

X: Should it be part of stock MediaWiki or not
Y: Is it better to write features as discreet modules or spread them out
the way core is currently done

The problem is when you move across X, you are forced to cross Y; If we
were to start moving extensions into core, it would mean breaking up
otherwise well bundled units of code into lots of tiny parts and
spreading them out. But why must this be the case?

Modular feature development being unique to extensions points out a
significant flaw in the design of MediaWiki core. There's no reason we
can't convert existing core features to discreet components, much like
how extensions are written, while leaving them in stock MediaWiki. This
sort of design would also make light work of adding extensions to core.

- Trevor